Apply to Teach in New York City Public Schools


Thank you for your interest in teaching in the New York City Department of Education.


Email Apply to Teach in New York City Public Schools

* I'm emailing about:


Subscribe to receive periodic updates from the Office of Teacher Recruitment and Quality.


Interstate Reciprocity

Teachers credentialed in another state or country can still be certified to teach in New York City classrooms.

Out-of-State Applicants

If you were licensed in another state, you may be eligible for a Conditional Initial Certificate. This certificate is granted to teachers with an out-of-state certificate recognized by the New York State Education Department (NYSED), who have completed all workshops and exams required  for an Initial Certificate, with the exception of the edTPA exam.  The Conditional Initial Certificate is valid for one year, during which time you must take and pass the edTPA exam.

Please check this list to find out if your certificate is accepted by the NYSED. If it is, you must apply directly to the NYSED for the Conditional Initial Certificate. Make sure to also check the specific requirements for your subject area. When you apply, choose “Interstate Reciprocity” as your pathway.

When you apply for a teaching job in one of our schools, you will need to provide a copy of your reciprocal certificate. For more information, visit How to Apply. If your certificate does not qualify for reciprocity, you must earn certification through an approved program.

International Applicants

If you are a teacher from another country, you may be eligible to earn New York State certification on the basis of your foreign credentials. To be eligible for consideration, you must meet these criteria. In addition, you must be eligible to work in this country to be considered.