Application & Hiring Process
We take hiring seriously because we take our teachers seriously. There are two parts to our rigorous hiring process. First, apply to become a teacher in the New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) by completing a thorough online application. If your application is accepted, you can begin connecting with principals at schools that interest you.
- STEP 1: GATHER YOUR APPLICATION MATERIALS
- STEP 2: SUBMIT YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION
- STEP 3: FIND AND APPLY FOR OPEN POSITIONS
- STEP 4: PREPARE FOR YOUR START DATE
You will be able to save and return to your started application, but we recommend gathering all application materials first. The Teacher Application Guide has a list of everything you’ll need.
Once you have your materials ready—including your resume, academic history, professional references and thoughtful responses to three essay questions—complete your online teacher application. Applications are evaluated on a rolling basis, so the earlier you apply, the better your chances are of finding your ideal fit.
First Priority Deadline: Wednesday, February 15
Apply by February 15 for
- Final consideration for the Select Recruits Early Hiring Program, a community of exceptional teacher candidates committed to teaching in the Bronx. Select Recruits will have access to early hiring opportunities, and receive enhanced job search support. (Please note that qualified candidates will be asked for a recommender to speak to their skills as a teacher to be considered.)
- Early access to the New Teacher Finder – the online platform where prospective teachers can search position openings and principals can look to for new teacher candidates. Candidates can connect with schools, view positions, express interest in openings.
- Consideration for mid-year teaching opportunities.
Second Priority Deadline: Wednesday, April 5
Apply by April 5 for
- Guaranteed consideration to receive additional support from the Office of Teacher Recruitment and Quality (TRQ) in finding a school position.
- Enhanced visibility in the New Teacher Finder if recommended, and consideration for one-on-one consultation calls.
- Invitations to online information sessions and teacher chats that explore in more detail what it means to teach in New York City and best practices for navigating the job search.
- Access to hiring and networking events that will take place across the city.
Final Deadline: Wednesday, June 21
Apply by June 21 for
- Invitations to the final hiring and networking events of the summer
- Regular communications from TRQ that highlight schools across the city with open teaching positions.
- Access to New Teacher Finder where prospective teachers can search position openings and principals can look to for new teacher candidates. After the final deadline, new teacher applications will only be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
If your application is accepted, you will be invited to search and apply for the teaching positions that interest you. Please keep in mind that an accepted application does not guarantee a teaching position. You must apply directly to schools for positions that interest you, using one of the methods listed below.
The New Teacher Finder
If your application is accepted, you can review open positions and connect with hiring principals through the New Teacher Finder, which principals use to browse candidate applications, post job openings, and reach out to promising applicants. In addition to help with the job search, New Teacher Finder members have access to hiring resources and exclusive networking events.
Some candidates may be eligible to attend recruitment fairs and other networking events, where they will can meet in person with hiring principals. Invitations are reserved for the strongest candidates in select subject areas.
Principals and other school-level staff make hiring decisions, so we encourage you to contact schools directly. Just make sure to tailor your resume and cover letter to each school so your application stands out.
Once hired, you’ll need to complete several tasks before your first day, including getting fingerprinted. You will receive specific instructions for everything required, and can use our New Teacher Checklist as a guide.