Select Recruits Early Hiring Program
A Unique Opportunity
The Select Recruits Early Hiring program offers strong applicants the opportunity to join a cohort of teacher candidates with access to exclusive job search supports. Beginning in February, and continuing through May, Select Recruits can visit NYC public schools in the Bronx, and connect with principals at exclusive events. Members of the Select Recruits cohort can accept job offers from Bronx principals for the 2018-19 school year as early as March 1, four months earlier than most hiring occurs in New York City public schools. The Bronx is a great place to teach, and you can bring your talents and passion to students in Bronx communities.
The Select Recruits Early Hiring program will help you realize your professional goals, impact the future of the Bronx, and join a strong community of passionate educators. Over 30% of DOE hires are in the Bronx, and we anticipate over 75% of Bronx schools will be hiring at least one teacher through the Early Hiring program for the 2018-19 school year.
Build Your Career
Finding the right school, where you can grow your career, takes time. As a member of the third cohort of Select Recruits, you will have four months to connect with Bronx principals, visit and experience school communities, and secure a position for September 2018 – all before the peak DOE hiring season begins.
As a Select Recruit and a teacher in the Bronx, you will have the opportunity to:
- Get directly connected with principals and attend exclusive hiring events and school tours
- Find the school that is the right fit for you, and engage with the community prior to teaching in the classroom
- Secure a teaching position for the 2018-19 school year as early as March 1
Become a Select Recruit
To be considered for early hiring opportunities, you must indicate your interest in the program on page 3 of your Online Teacher Application
by Wednesday, January 31, 2018, the priority application deadline. All applicants must hold a valid teaching certificate
issued by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) or must be on track to have one by September 2018.
The DOE’s Office of Teacher Recruitment & Quality will conduct an initial review of your application. Eligible candidates will be contacted by the office and given a more detailed outline of the steps needed to become part of the Select Recruits Early Hiring Program, including:
- Commitment to serving students in the Bronx
- Readiness to accept an offer from a Bronx principal for the upcoming 2018-19 school year as early as March 1
- Completion of a short orientation about the program and navigating the job search in the Bronx
- Attendance at several networking opportunities with Bronx principals across mid-February and May
Eligible applicants will receive notice regarding their candidacy for the program on a rolling basis through the end of February.