Apply to Teach in New York City Public Schools

Out-of-State Certified Teachers

Out-of-State Applicants

If you are licensed to teach in another U.S. State or Territory, you may be eligible for a teaching certificate granted by the New York State Education Department (NYSED). Most candidates apply for the Initial Certificate, the entry-level certificate for classroom teachers that is issued by the State of New York in specific subject/grade titles. The NYSED offers multiple pathways toward receiving your NYS teacher certificate, which you can learn about here or below.  You can also read about the different certificates and pathways that NYSED offers as well as research the requirements by certificate type.

Here are the basic eligibility requirements for each pathway: 

  1. Endorsement of a Classroom Teaching Certificate: You must have a valid, comparable teaching certificate AND have completed three or more years of certified public school teaching experience in other U.S. State(s) or Territory(ies) in the subject of your application.
  2. Completion of a College Teacher Education Program: You must have completed a comparable, approved teacher preparation program from an accredited college or university located in another U.S. State or Territory
  3. If neither of the previously mentioned pathways are an option for you, you may want to consider an Individual Evaluation. This pathway allows a candidate to submit their credentials to New York State to determine if they meet the requirements for certification or if they have unmet requirements.

Please visit the NYSED website for a comprehensive summary of all the requirements for out-of-state candidates to teach in New York City public schools. If you meet the requirements for New York State certification, you must apply directly to the NYSED for your certificate. We recommend that you complete the application to teach in a New York City public school at the same time you apply for your certificate from New York State.

When completing the New York City Online Teacher Application, you will be required to provide a copy of your current certificate if you have teaching certification from another U.S. State or Territory. If you have completed or are enrolled in a teacher preparation program, you will need to submit a letter from your college or university that confirms that you are on track to complete the certification requirements. The letter must state the type, level, and subject area of the certificate that you will receive. For more information, visit this page.

International Applicants

Teacher candidates must have authorization to work in the United States to be considered for New York City Public Schools teaching positions. Candidates must also have New York State teacher certification granted through the New York State Education Department (NYSED) to teach in our schools.

Candidates who completed their education outside of the United States no longer qualify for international reciprocity in New York State; they must include an evaluation of their credentials as part of their TEACH application for New York State teacher certification. Visit the NYSED website for more details.


We strongly recommend reviewing the How to Apply and New York State Certification sections of our Online Support Center.